TES Reloaded
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
TES Reloaded
TES Reloaded is one of the biggest project of the modding community.
It is a plugin for Oblivion, Skyrim and Fallout New Vegas.

HAVE FUN!
AlenetAdministrator
GBRModerator
lldeModerator
malonnModerator

Timeslip

Oblivion Graphics Extender (OBGE) v1.0

Scanti

Oblivion Graphics Extender (OBGE) v2.0

ShadeMe

Oblivion Graphics Extender (OBGE) v2.0

Ethatron

Oblivion Graphics Extender (OBGE) v3.0
Jopp

Z- fighting (flickering distant objects)  Empty Z- fighting (flickering distant objects)

Sat 06 Mar 2021, 12:26
What is causing the flickering of distant objects and lod?

*the refresh rate of our monitor
*the video card
*the fov
*some obscure ini settings
*overlapping textures even without mods
*overlapping of multiple meshes which should be merged
*effects like clouds or water

Nobody seems to figure out the real cause, so how to do to fix it?
The issue persists throughout many games..
Alenet
Alenet
Administrator

Z- fighting (flickering distant objects)  Empty Re: Z- fighting (flickering distant objects)

Sat 06 Mar 2021, 15:21
That is not related to TESR, this is not the right forum to ask that.
Jopp

Z- fighting (flickering distant objects)  Empty Re: Z- fighting (flickering distant objects)

Sat 06 Mar 2021, 17:17
SR like OR are game updates and as such, correct errors, and add features on top. But features are only details.
Therefore my initial post is just some reflection how to patch an annoying problem of older engines. I do not know how much this flickering can be avoided, but i have read a lot about and was not able to resolve it.
As much as i appreciate the features of SR and OR, i would love to see mitigated or resolved these old bugs and limitations of older engines, if possible. My post is not a "feature request" per se, but i think the topic is interesting and worth the consideration.
Veteran modders visit this site as well, so talking of this problem is not meaningless but helpful for those who can contribute.
Nico coiN

Fri 12 Mar 2021, 20:45
I'll try to stay as simple as possible. In "Oldrim" (I mean 2011 32-bits Skyrim) z-fighting is happening only on very distant objects (I mean distant LOD objects).

The area close to the player has full-poly rendered objects and there's no issue at all. But once objects are replaced by their low-poly counterparts (I mean their distant LOD objects) the very distant view has the issue: the engine fails to determine which Level Of Detail should be displayed. So, both "very low-poly" and "extremely low-poly" objects are quickly and alternatively displayed, causing this "flickering". As the engine cannot decide which LOD should be displayed, both are continuously "fighting". This is an engine related issue and if it could be fixed then Bethesda would probably have done it.

Bethesda fixed it only in the 2016 64-bits Special Edition. I think it is definetly unfixable in Oldrim. You should bring the discussion to Sheson's forum/threads about his/her "DynDoLOD" project improving A LOT the distant objects and landscape. This is IMO totally unrelated to your issue but I may be wrong, and if there is a great guru about LOD in general, then Sheson is undoubtfully this person...
Jopp

Sat 13 Mar 2021, 14:33
@Nico coiN

Awesome news, thanks very much!
Since these "extreme low poly" objects must exist in some of the bsa packages, how about to "overwrite" them virtually using mod organizer with empty files, so that skyrim is forced to display only one kind of lod?

Haha, sorry for my succinct question
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum